Ridgefield Park is a village in Bergen County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the village's population was 12,729, reflecting a decline of 144 (-1.1%) from the 12,873 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn increased by 419 (+3.4%) from the 12,454 counted in the 1990 Census. Of 565 municipalities statewide, Ridgefield Park is one of only four with a village type of government in New Jersey, though it operates a Walsh Act (city commission) form of government. Of the four New Jersey villages Loch Arbour also uses the commission form of government, while Ridgewood operates under the council-manager form, and the Township of South Orange Village operates under a special charter form with many characteristics of village government.
Ridgefield Park was formed as a village on June 15, 1892, within Ridgefield Township, based on the results of a referendum passed on June 6, 1892. Overpeck Township was formed on March 23, 1897, to be coextensive with Ridgefield Park village, and was created within Ridgefield Township for the purpose of administering a Board of Education. Portions of the village gained in both 1921 and 1926 were taken from Bogota and Teaneck. On May 31, 1938, Overpeck Township became Ridgefield Park Township. The village was named for the area's terrain.
The village's Fourth of July Parade, first established in 1894, is said to be the longest continuously celebrated such event in New Jersey and one of the oldest in the country. The village eliminated its July 4 fireworks in 2009, citing the $50,000 cost in the face of the difficult economy, but committed to retain its parade.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village had a total area of 1.919 square miles (4.971 km2), including 1.723 square miles (4.464 km2) of land and 0.196 square miles (0.507 km2) of water (10.19%).
The village borders the Bergen County municipalities of Bogota, Hackensack, Leonia, Little Ferry, Palisades Park, Ridgefield and Teaneck.
Unincorporated communities, localities and place names located partially or completely within the village include Overpeck and West View.
The 2010 United States Census counted 12,729 people, 4,851 households, and 3,274.425 families in the village. The population density was 7,385.6 per square mile (2,851.6/km2).