Riverton is a borough located in Burlington County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the borough had a total population of 2,779, reflecting an increase of 20 (+0.7%) from the 2,759 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn declined by 16 (-0.6%) from the 2,775 counted in the 1990 Census.
Riverton was incorporated as a borough by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on December 18, 1893, from portions of Cinnaminson Township, based on the results of a referendum held six days earlier. Portions of the borough were taken to form Palmyra Township on April 19, 1894. The borough's name is derived from The Riverton Improvement Company, which was established after a group of ten purchased a 120-acre (49 ha) that would be the site of a planned community with homes erected for many of the founders along the riverfront.
It is a dry town, where alcohol cannot be sold. The borough's dry status was an early character of the borough, with a clause inserted starting in 1952 by the Riverton Improvement Company into deeds for all properties in the community that prohibited the sale or manufacture of alcoholic beverages.
The borough is located on the Delaware River and is pedestrian-friendly, with sidewalks, gas lamps, and Victorian architecture. Riverton is home to the Riverton Yacht Club, one of the oldest active yacht clubs in the country. Many residents' sailboats make their home at this landmark.
Riverton was established in 1851, along the Delaware River, having been laid out by Philadelphia architect Samuel Sloan. According to architectural historian Henry Russell Hitchcock, Riverton was one of the first totally planned residential subdivisions in the United States.
In 1916, Japanese beetles, now a widespread insect pest in the United States, were first discovered in a nursery near Riverton.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Riverton borough had a total area of 0.966 square miles (2.502 km2), including 0.665 square miles (1.722 km2) of land and 0.301 square miles (0.780 km2) of water (31.17%).
The borough borders Cinnaminson Township and Palmyra in Burlington County; and Philadelphia, across the Delaware River in Pennsylvania.
The 2010 United States Census counted 2,779 people, 1,057 households, and 754.698 families in the borough. The population density was 4,179.4 per square mile (1,613.7/km2).