Livonia is a city in the northwest part of Wayne County in the U.S. state of Michigan. It is a large suburb of Detroit, with an array of traditional neighborhoods (most of which were built in the 1950s and 1960s) connected to the metropolitan area by freeways. The population was 96,942 at the 2010 census, making it Michigan's ninth largest municipality.
The municipality is a part of Metro Detroit, and is located approximately 20 miles (32 km) west of downtown Detroit, and less than two miles (3 km) from the western city limits of Detroit (Redford Township lies between the two).
After most members of the indigenous tribes were pushed out of the area, ethnic European-American pioneers from New England and New York settled here. The borders of Livonia Township were defined by the Legislature of the Territory of Michigan on March 17, 1835.
The settlers named the community "Livonia", after Livonia, New York, a town in the western part of the state from where many had migrated.
Livonia Township was split off from Nankin Township, in which a Livonia post office had been established in June 1834. During the days of the township, a number of small communities developed. One of these was Elmwood, initially known as McKinley's Station. It was a stop on the Detroit, Lansing and Northern Railroad. It had a separate post office from 1858 until 1906.