Upland (pronounced as "up-land") is a town in Jefferson Township, Grant County, Indiana, United States. The population was 3,845 at the 2010 census. It is most notable for being the home of Taylor University, a Christian college with 2,103 students, as of 2016.
Most of the land that is now part of Upland was purchased by John Oswalt in the 1830s. He was a speculator, and believed that a canal connecting Indianapolis and Fort Wayne might pass through the area. The town was formed in the late 1860s by Jacob Bugher, who planned for it to be a depot point on the Indiana Central Railroad. The town's name comes from the fact it was believed to be the highest point on the rail line between Columbus and Chicago. By 1880, the town had a population of around 150 and included a school, two churches, several stores, a blacksmith shop, and a sawmill.
Upland benefited from the gas boom in central Indiana which started in 1886 and carried on until around 1900 when the gas supply began to decline. Gas was discovered in Upland in 1888, and this new resource allowed the town to flourish and grow. By the 1890s, the town had a population of over 1000, street lights, water and gas lines, and a glass manufacturing plant.
Taylor University moved to Upland in the summer of 1893. The school had been struggling financially in Fort Wayne, and the gas boom allowed the town to provide the university with $10,000 in cash and 10 acres (40,000 m2) of land.
Upland is between Fort Wayne (one hour north by car) and Indianapolis (1 1⁄4 hours south).