Gas City is a city in Grant County, Indiana, along the Mississinewa River. The population was 5,965 at the 2010 census.
Gas City was first known as Harrisburg when settled on May 25, 1867, by Noah Harris. It became something of a boom town when natural gas was found in the area in 1887. The Gas City Land Company was founded on March 21, 1892 and the town of about 150 people changed its name to Gas City a few days later. However, as of 2012 much of the gas is depleted. (See Indiana gas boom.)
The Gas City High School, Thompson-Ray House, and West Ward School are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Gas City is located at 40°29′17″N 85°36′20″W (40.488190, -85.605649).
According to the 2010 census, Gas City has a total area of 4.56 square miles (11.81 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2010, there were 5,965 people, 2,410 households, and 1,632 families living in the city. The population density was 1,308.1 inhabitants per square mile (505.1/km2). There were 2,597 housing units at an average density of 569.5 per square mile (219.9/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 96.2% White, 0.9% African American, 0.3% Native American, 0.4% Asian, 0.4% from other races, and 1.7% from two or more races.