Waverly Township is a township in Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania, United States. It borders Dalton and Glenburn Township to the west, North Abington Township to the north, Clarks Summit and Clarks Green to the south, South Abington Township to the south and southeast, and Scott Township to the east. Waverly Township is part of the growing suburban area known as the "Abingtons." The population was 1,743 at the 2010 census.
Prior to 2011, the township was known as Abington Township, and originally referred to as Ebbington in Connecticut's claim in 1806.
Waverly was founded in the late 18th century by settlers from Connecticut, along The Warriors' Path, and was originally called Abington Center. In 1853, it was established as a borough within Pennsylvania and renamed Waverly after Sir Walter Scott's novel of the same name, popular at that time. It was renamed because there was another municipality named Abington located near Philadelphia. The borough, located within Lackawanna County, gave up its charter in 1920 due to the high cost of upgrading its main street to a state highway, and became Abington Township.
The Philadelphia and Great Bend Turnpike (now Main Street) was chartered in 1919 by the Pennsylvania Legislature along The Warriors' Path. Started in 1820, this turnpike was completed in 1824. In 1828, the Wayside Inn was built, and the first doctor, Dr.