Dunmore is a borough in Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania, adjoining Scranton. Dunmore was settled in 1835 and incorporated in 1862. Extensive anthracite coal, brick, stone, and silk interests had led to a rapid increase in the population from 8,315 in 1890 to 23,086 in 1940. The population was 14,057 in the 2010 census.
Dunmore was settled in 1835 and incorporated in 1862.
The first white person to set foot on Dunmore soil was Count Zinzendorf of Saxony, in 1742, as a missionary to the native people who were Munsee-speaking Delawares.
The territory now encompassing Dunmore was purchased from the natives in 1754 by the Susquehanna Company of Connecticut and became the township of Providence. The first settlers of the Dunmore area arrived in 1771 and were originally from Connecticut (see Pennamite–Yankee War). William Allsworth established an inn here in 1783. In the summer of 1795, Charles Dolph, John Carey, and John West began the labor of clearing and plowing lands in the neighborhood of "Bucktown" or "Corners", as this area was called. Edward Lunnon, Isaac Dolph, James Brown, Philip Swartz and Levi De Puy, purchased land here between 1799–1805.
Stephen Tripp, in 1820, began the area's first business, erecting a saw and grist mill on the Roaring Brook half a mile south of the village.