Brigantine (or simply The Island) is a city in Atlantic County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the city's population was 9,450, reflecting a decline of 3,144 (-25.0%) from the 12,594 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn increased by 1,240 (+10.9%) from the 11,354 counted in the 1990 Census.
What is now the City of Brigantine has passed through a series of names and re-incorporations since it was first created. The area was originally incorporated as Brigantine Beach Borough by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on June 14, 1890, from portions of Galloway Township, based on the results of a referendum held on June 3, 1890. On April 23, 1897, the area was reincorporated as the City of Brigantine City. This name lasted until April 9, 1914, when it was renamed the City of East Atlantic City. On March 16, 1924, Brigantine was incorporated as a city, replacing East Atlantic City and incorporating further portions of Galloway Township. The borough was named for the many shipwrecks in the area, including those of brigantines.
New Jersey Monthly magazine ranked Brigantine as its 36th best place to live in its 2008 rankings of the "Best Places To Live" in New Jersey.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city had a total area of 10.86 square miles (28.14 km2), including 6.52 square miles (16.89 km2) of land and 4.34 square miles (11.25 km2) of water (39.98%). Brigantine is located on Brigantine Island.
The only road to and from Brigantine is New Jersey Route 87, locally known as Brigantine Boulevard. The Justice Vincent S. Haneman Memorial Bridge is the only way on and off the island.