Carthage is a city in Leake County, Mississippi, United States. The population was 5,075 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of Leake County.
The largest chicken processing plant in the world is located in Carthage.
Carthage was established in 1834, and became the county seat. The Harris family were early settlers, and named the town after their former home of Carthage, Tennessee. A courthouse and jail were built in 1836, and a post office was established the following year. Carthage was incorporated in 1876. A brick courthouse replaced the previous one in 1877, and was replaced again in 1910. The Carthaginian newspaper was established in 1872, and remains in publication today.
By 1900, agriculture was the primary industry in Leake County.