Clayton is a city in Montgomery county in the U.S. state of Ohio. The population was 13,209 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Dayton Metropolitan Statistical Area.
The city was named after John Clayton, a War of 1812 veteran.
Clayton is located at 39°51′38.38″N 84°21′18.29″W (39.86066, −84.35508).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 18.60 square miles (48.17 km2), of which 18.51 square miles (47.94 km2) is land and 0.09 square miles (0.23 km2) is water.
In 1998, Clayton annexed the remainder of Montgomery County's Randolph Township.
Clayton was platted in 1816 and at that time was known as Salem. It suffered when the National Road bypassed it. In 1906 it became a stop on the Dayton Northern Traction Line. It became a city in 1998 through merger with the rest of Randolph Township, Montgomery County, Ohio.
As of the census of 2010, there were 13,209 people, 5,118 households, and 3,766 families living in the city. The population density was 713.6 inhabitants per square mile (275.5/km2). There were 5,423 housing units at an average density of 293.0 per square mile (113.1/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 76.5% White, 18.8% African American, 0.2% Native American, 1.4% Asian, 0.6% from other races, and 2.5% from two or more races.