Dover is a borough in York County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 2,007 at the 2010 census.
James Joner purchased 203 acres (0.82 km2) in 1764 and laid out the town of Dover. It was known generally as Joners Town until 1815, when a Dover post office was established.
During the 1863 Gettysburg Campaign of the American Civil War, Dover was briefly occupied overnight, June 30 – July 1, by Confederate cavalry under J.E.B. Stuart.
Dover was incorporated in 1864, 100 years after its founding.
The Englehart Melchinger House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992.
Dover is located in York County at 40°0′14″N 76°50′58″W (40.003846, -76.849397), 5 miles (8 km) northwest of the county seat of York. The borough is entirely surrounded by Dover Township.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,815 people, 770 households, and 489 families residing in the borough. The population density was 3,623.6 people per square mile (1,401.6/km2). There were 790 housing units at an average density of 1,577.2 per square mile (610.0/km2).