Garden City is a city in Wayne County of the U.S. state of Michigan. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 27,692. The city is part of the Metro Detroit region and is approximately 10 miles (16.1 km) west of the city of Detroit. M-153 (Ford Road) runs east–west through the center of the city.
The origins of Garden City started with the transfer of the property to John Lathers from Andrew Jackson for 160 acres (0.65 km2) in October 1835. The city was patterned after the "garden city" concept that became popular in England during the 19th century, with most home sites sectioned off into 1-acre (4,000 m2) plots to allow adequate farming area to support the family with fruit and vegetables. Most sites are now considerably smaller, some as small as 40 feet by 135 feet, with little room for gardening of fruits and vegetables, though the city maintains some large lots where an extra street has not been placed between two of the older streets, such as between some parts of Bock Street and John Hauk Street where Donnelly Avenue does not cut through.
In June 1927, Garden City became a village, with Arnold Folker as Village President. Six years later the village became the city of Garden City. Areas of interest in Garden City include the first Kmart store (opened 1962, closed in early 2017), the first Little Caesars (opened May 1959, closed in October 2018), located at 32594 Cherry Hill Road, and the first dine-in McDonald's in Michigan.