Genoa City is a village located in Kenosha and Walworth counties in the U.S. state of Wisconsin, 43 mi (69 km) south-southwest of Milwaukee, located on the Illinois–Wisconsin border. The population was 3,042 at the 2010 census. Of this, 3,036 were in Walworth County, and only 6 were in Kenosha County. It was named after Genoa, New York, which was named after Genoa in Italy.
Genoa City's land was purchased from the government in 1841. James Dickerson originally platted the village on May 9 and May 19, 1850, and it was recorded July 12 that year. There were 23 lots and settlers paid $1.25 an acre. The first two railroad lines were built in the 1850s and 1862, respectively. By 1850, Genoa City had about 300 residents and there was a post office, hotel, flour mill, grist mill, lumber yard, drug store, grocery store, hardware store, tailor, shoe maker, two carriage shops, three general stores, and two salon keepers. In 1885, Adolph Freeman platted two additions after fire destroyed many businesses on Freeman Street, which was named after him, the year prior. In the 1890s, new buildings replaced the ones lost in the fire.
Genoa City is located at 42°30′13″N 88°19′34″W (42.503612, -88.326063).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 2.34 square miles (6.06 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2010, there were 3,042 people, 1,072 households, and 784 families living in the village.