Ringwood is a northwest suburban village in McHenry County, Illinois, United States. The population was 836 at the 2010 census.
Ringwood was settled in 1837 by Dr. Luke Hale and Wm. H. Beach, both native to Vermont. The original settlement was supposedly surrounded by a ring of trees, hence the name 'Ringwood'.
The Ringwood post office was established in 1845 to provide post office boxes for local industrial firms and residents located on the far northern edge of McHenry. The small village was platted in 1854, allowing the installation of roads, infrastructure, public amenities and allowing residents to legally own plots of land for agricultural use, and the construction of homes and businesses. In an attempt to maintain its small-town environment, Ringwood was incorporated as a Village on the 15 November 1994. By 2018, the Village of Ringwood had two paid staff, plus contracted services including building inspection, and an unsalaried Board of Trustees.
Ringwood is located at 42°23′42″N 88°18′11″W (42.395084, -88.303030), and is adjacent to the larger Village of Johnsburg, to the southeast.
According to the 2010 census, Ringwood has a total area of 3.86 square miles (10.00 km2), all land.
As of October 2018, the closest public transportation to Ringwood is a Pace bus route that runs through Johnsburg, between the nearby municipalities of Crystal Lake, McHenry, and Fox Lake.