Greenacres is a city in central Palm Beach County, Florida, United States. The population was 27,569 at the 2000 census. In 2010, the population recorded by the U.S. Census Bureau was 37,573.
In 1909, Frederick E. Bryant – a British agriculturalist, – Harold J. Bryant, and William Greenwood of the Palm Beach Farms Company in Colorado, bought thousands of acres of land in the Everglades and later along the coast of Lake Worth in 1910. The men sold the land to buyers throughout the United States and Canada, offering 5 acres (2.0 ha) plots for $250, with a $10 down payment and a $10 per month charge, which also included a 25 by 25 ft (7.6 by 7.6 m) parcel on the shore of Lake Worth. However, difficulties involved with farming in the Everglades forced 308 buyers to settle at their properties along Lake Worth, an area that would later become the city of Lake Worth. Until the land boom of the 1920s, these lots were effectively abandoned. Around that time, Lawrence Carter "L. C." Swain of Massachusetts acquired 320 acres (130 ha) of land, with the intention of creating a community for the working class. He initially platted approximately half of the land in 1923, with a plat just west of Military Trail becoming the original section of the city. By 1925, Swain began selling lots for $225.
The town was originally incorporated as Greenacres City on May 24, 1926. The name Greenacres was the winning entry in a local naming contest.