Grosse Pointe Woods is a suburban city in Wayne County in the U.S. state of Michigan, comprising a large portion of the Grosse Pointe communities. The population was 16,135 at the 2010 census. It is located about 10 miles (16 km) northeast of downtown Detroit in the northeastern corner of Wayne County.
While initially settled over a century ago, much of the city in its current form was built in the middle of the 20th century, particularly around and just after World War II, distinguishing Grosse Pointe Woods from older portions of Grosse Pointe.
The city was originally incorporated as the Village of Lochmoor in 1927 from the last unincorporated portion of Grosse Pointe Township. The village annexed the Stanhope-Allard strip of land from what was then Gratiot Township in 1931. The village changed its name from Lochmoor to Grosse Pointe Woods in 1939, but didn't incorporate as a city until 1950.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 3.25 square miles (8.42 km2), all land. It is the only one of the five Grosse Pointes with no Lake St. Clair shoreline, although the city owns a park in neighboring St. Clair Shores that is on the lake.