Guntown is a city in Lee County, Mississippi, located in the northern part of the Tupelo micropolitan area. The population was 2,083 at the 2010 Census.
Guntown is named for Virginia Loyalist émigré James G. Gunn (d. 1826) who found asylum among the Chickasaws in present-day Lee County, Mississippi.
Union cavalry officers described Guntown as "a station and small village on the Mobile & Ohio road." The U.S. post office was established on April 13, 1866, marking the official launch of the service in Guntown. This was followed by incorporation on February 16, 1867, and appointment of the first Mayor that year.
Guntown is located along Mississippi Highway 145, with the older parts of the city lying further to the east near the railroad tracks. U.S. Route 45 traverses the western part of the city, running roughly parallel to MS 145. Baldwyn lies just to the north of Guntown, and Saltillo lies just to the south.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.5 square miles (12 km2), of which 4.5 square miles (12 km2) is land and 0.22% is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,183 people, 443 households, and 337 families residing in the city. The population density was 261.1 people per square mile (100.8/km2).