Philo is a village in Muskingum County, Ohio, United States, along the Muskingum River. The population was 733 at the 2010 census.
Philo is the closest municipality to Blue Rock State Park.
An old variant name was Taylorsville. Taylorsville was laid out in 1833 by James Taylor, and named for him. A post office called Philo has been in operation since 1851. The present name is for Philo Buckingham, an early settler.
From 1924 to 1975, the Philo Power Plant generated electric power. In 1957 Unit 6 at the Philo Power plant was the first commercial supercritical steam-electric generating unit in the world. Today, the rotors from Philo 6 are on display as a sculpture created by George Greenamyer located at the AEP Building in Columbus, Ohio.
Philo is located at 39°51′41″N 81°54′32″W (39.861308, -81.908816).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.42 square miles (1.09 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2010, there were 733 people, 278 households, and 194 families living in the village. The population density was 1,745.2 inhabitants per square mile (673.8/km2).