Pitman is a borough in Gloucester County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the borough's population was 9,011, reflecting a decline of 320 (−3.4%) from the 9,331 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn declined by 34 (−0.4%) from the 9,365 counted in the 1990 Census. The borough was named for Rev. Charles Pitman, a Methodist minister.
Until August 2014, Pitman was a dry town. Though the borough still does not allow liquor stores or bars, patrons can purchase wine by the bottle from local vineyards at select licensed establishments under the terms of a state law that bypasses municipal oversight. In 2016, a pair of local breweries opened in Pitman's Uptown business district under the terms of a state law that allows the sale of beer by the glass in tasting rooms.
In 1871, land was chosen in both Glassboro Township and Mantua Township to be set aside for a Methodist summer camp. The New Jersey Conference Camp Meeting Association was officially chartered and given authority over the land grant in 1872, and began planning the campground and organizing meetings. The land had an auditorium located on a central meeting ground, and twelve roads originated from the central area as spokes on a wheel. This area became known as the Pitman Grove, and while worshipers' tents originally lined each of the twelve roads, cottages slowly replaced the tents and formed the foundation of the town of Pitman. By the 1880s, the number of cottages had climbed to 400 and residents had begun staying year-round, both of which led to the establishment of the first public school in 1884.