Lawnside is a borough in Camden County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the borough's population was 2,945, reflecting an increase of 253 (+9.4%) from the 2,692 counted in the 2000 Census. In the previous decade, the population of the small community had declined by 149 (-5.2%) from the 2,841 counted in the 1990 Census.
Lawnside was developed and incorporated as the first independent, self-governing black municipality north of the Mason-Dixon Line in 1840. The United Parcel Service has a large depot in the borough.
The land that was developed as Lawnside was purchased in 1840 by abolitionists for a community for freed and escaped slaves, as well as other African Americans.
Earlier known as "Snow Hill" and "Free Haven", the borough was named for the train station constructed by the Reading Railroad along the Atlantic City Railroad in 1907.
On April 20, 1926, an "Official Special Election" was held in the Borough of Lawnside. Just one month earlier, on March 24, 1926, Governor of New Jersey A. Harry Moore signed into law New Jersey General Assembly Bill 561, dissolving Centre Township, of which Lawnside was a part, and incorporating the Borough of Lawnside, which also included portions of the borough of Barrington. With its first election, Lawnside became the first independent self-governing African American community north of the Mason-Dixon line.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Lawnside borough had a total area of 1.408 square miles (3.647 km2), all of which was land.
Lawnside borders the Camden County municipalities of Barrington, Cherry Hill, Haddonfield, Magnolia, Somerdale, Tavistock and Voorhees Township.
The 2010 United States Census counted 2,945 people, 1,103 households, and 762.173 families in the borough. The population density was 2,091.5 per square mile (807.5/km2). There were 1,174 housing units at an average density of 833.7 per square mile (321.9/km2).