Red Lion is a borough in York County, Pennsylvania, settled in 1852 and incorporated on January 16, 1880. The population was 6,373 at the 2010 census.
Red Lion, settled in 1852, was named after one of the first pubs in town, the Red Lion Tavern.
The town was a main stop along the old Maryland and Pennsylvania Railroad, known locally as the "Ma & Pa" Railroad. That railroad ran from York County to Baltimore, Maryland.
Red Lion was once famous for the many brands of cigars made there. The town produced millions of cigars per month, about 10% of the cigars made in the United States. The town raises a cigar every New Year's Eve. It was also known nationwide for its furniture industry, with several large factories producing ornate, hand crafted furniture for over 100 years. The furniture industry has mostly shifted to kitchen cabinet production and retail store fixtures over the last 40 years.
The Consumers Cigar Box Company and Red Lion Borough Historic District are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Red Lion is located about 35 miles (56.3 mi) southeast of Harrisburg.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 1.3 square miles (3.3 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 6,149 people, 2,575 households, and 1,645 families residing in the borough. The population density was 4,789.9 people per square mile (1,854.8/km2).