Rochester Hills is a city in Oakland County in the U.S. state of Michigan. As of the 2010 census, the city had a total population of 70,995.
The area was originally settled in as early as 1817 and organized as Avon Township in 1835. The city of Rochester incorporated in 1967, and the remaining area of Avon Township was incorporated and renamed as the city of Rochester Hills in 1984. As a northern suburb of Metro Detroit, the city is about 12 miles (19.3 km) north of the city of Detroit. It is home to Oakland University, and is ranked as one of the wealthiest cities in the state and among the 50 most-educated cities in the U.S.
Prior to European settlement, the area now known as Rochester Hills was inhabited by Native Americans, namely the Potawatomi. The Potawatomi depended on the area's abundant water sources, such as the Clinton River and Paint Creek, to grow crops, fish, and travel. They resided here until the 1807 Treaty of Detroit caused them, along with the Odawa, Wyandot, and Ojibwe peoples, to cede their land in Southeast Michigan.
The first European settler was James Graham who arrived in 1817. Graham and his family reached the area by following trails created by the Sauk Native Americans. Avon Township was organized in 1835. Rochester incorporated as a village within the township in 1869.