Damascus is a census-designated place and an unincorporated area in Montgomery County, Maryland, United States. In the early 20th century, there existed an incorporated municipality lasting a quarter century.
The name was first used in an official document in 1816, when the United States Congress approved a postal route through the area, operated by Edward Hughes.
The area currently known as Damascus was granted by the new U.S. state of Maryland to Nathaniel Pigman in 1783. On February 14, 1819, War of 1812 veteran Edward Hughes bought a 40-acre (160,000 m2) section of the grant and began subdividing lots for sale. James Madison, the fourth U.S. president, appointed Hughes postmaster of the developing community of Damascus in 1816.
Damascus is located at the intersection of two major roads in upper Montgomery County: Ridge Road (currently Rt. 27) and Damascus Road (currently Rt. 108). Hughes received permission from Congress for a postal route through the town. Hughes called his town "The Pleasant Plains of Damascus" after Damascus, Syria.