Fremont is a city in Mahaska County, Iowa, United States. The population was 743 at the 2010 census.
In 1871, Fremont stretched for 8 blocks, 1/2 mile (under 1 km) along Main Street, with at least one house on every block on the north side of the street and a few houses on Washington Street, one block north. There was a Baptist church, a hotel, three stores, a barber shop and a school. The town also had a physician, a blacksmith and a shoemaker.
The Burlington and Western, a narrow gauge railroad and its competitor, the Iowa Central Railway built parallel tracks toward Oskaloosa. The Burlington and Western arrived in the fall of 1883 and was widened to Standard Gauge in 1902 and taken over by the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy the next year. the Minneapolis and St. Louis took over the Iowa Central around the same time. The Burlington line was abandoned in 1934.
In 1905, Fremont had a grain elevator, live-stock pens, and a lumber yard on clustered around the Burlington depot on the south side of town, and a creamery, another stockyard, and grain elevator spread out on both sides of the Iowa Central depot along the north-east side. The school and hotel were on Main Street, and the post office was half a block north of Main.
Fremont is located at 41°12′44″N 92°26′6″W (41.212321, -92.435106).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.03 square miles (2.67 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2010, there were 743 people, 300 households, and 208 families living in the city.