Hazel Crest is a village in Cook County, Illinois, United States. The population was 14,100 at the 2010 census.
Hazel Crest was first settled in 1870 in a farming community known as South Harvey. An enterprising newspaper editor named William McClintock moved here from Ohio in 1890, buying 80 acres (320,000 m2) from farmer Fred Puhrman.
McClintock built a depot for a local milk train and subsequently opened transportation opportunities to Chicago and beyond. The depot also served as the area's first real estate office, public meeting place, Sunday school, day school, and post office.
In 1900, the name was changed to Hazel Crest to reflect the large numbers of hazelnut bushes that grew on a rise of land just south of town. At the time, the southern border was 175th Street and the western edge of the village was Kedzie Avenue.
Hazel Crest was incorporated in 1912. Many of the families of the early residents still live in the village.
Over the years, significant developments have occurred because groups of residents joined together for common goals.