Avalon is a borough in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, United States, along the Ohio River, 6 miles (10 km) downstream from Pittsburgh. It is a largely residential borough with a few small stores. The population was 4,705 at the 2010 census.
The borough is located in the Northgate School District.
School tax millage rate- The Northgate School District (shared with Bellvue Borough) in 2017 was 24.79. This ranked 9th highest/most expensive out of Allegheny County's 45 school districts [between Upper Saint Clair SD (8th highest) and South Park SD (10thth highest)].
Avalon is located at 40°30′4″N 80°4′7″W.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 0.7 square miles (1.8 km2), of which 0.6 square miles (1.6 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) is water. Its average elevation is 932 feet (284 m) above sea level.
Avalon has four land borders, including Ben Avon Heights to the north, Kilbuck Township to the north, northeast and northwestern corner, Bellevue to the east, and Ben Avon to the west. Across the Ohio River to the south, Avalon runs adjacent with the eastern end of Neville Island (Neville Township) as well as the Davis Island Lock and Dam Site in which its location is designated as in Avalon.
On December 9, 1874, a group of 29 property owners met and decided they wanted to separate from Kilbuck Township, which itself split from Pine Township in 1869. They petitioned the Court of Quarter Sessions of Pennsylvania for incorporation papers. The petition was drawn up by Noah Shafer, who eventually became West Bellevue's first solicitor.