Ben Avon is a borough in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, along the Ohio River. The population was 1,781 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Pittsburgh Metropolitan Area.
The name, Ben Avon, comes from Scottish for "hill of the waters".
Ben Avon is located at 40°30′27″N 80°4′56″W (40.507418, -80.082162).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2). 0.4 square miles (1.0 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it (14.89%) is water.
Its average elevation is 928 feet (283 m) above sea level.
Ben Avon has three land borders, including Kilbuck Township to the north, Avalon to the east, and Emsworth to the west. Across the Ohio River's main channel, Ben Avon runs adjacent with Neville Island (Neville Township).
Ben Avon was incorporated as a borough in January 1891, from Kilbuck Township.
Like many early suburbs, Ben Avon was originally linked to Pittsburgh by train. One of the first homes in the area, the Arthur-Johnson House, was built at a bend in the Ohio River above the Pittsburgh and Fort Wayne Railroad, a route that was known to George Washington. The house was built by a merchant from Allegheny City looking for a summer retreat from the steel industry.