Berlin is a borough in Camden County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the borough's population was 7,588, reflecting an increase of 1,439 (+23.4%) from the 6,149 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn increased by 477 (+8.4%) from the 5,672 counted in the 1990 Census.
Berlin was incorporated as a borough on March 29, 1927, from portions of Berlin Township, based on the results of a referendum held on April 26, 1927.
What is now Berlin was known in earlier times as "Longacoming." Local Native Americans used Lonaconing Trail to describe the travel route that ran through the area, connecting the Jersey Shore to the Delaware River. Another tradition cites early European visitors who found a stream at the head of the Great Egg Harbor River and appreciated the respite as being "long a coming".
Long-A-Coming became a stopping point for stagecoaches located at the halfway point between Philadelphia and Atlantic City. Upon the creation of Camden County in 1844, it was briefly named the county seat (while the area was still a part of Waterford Township), until 1848 when the seat moved to the city of Camden. A rail line was laid in 1853. Three years later, the Long-A-Coming railroad station was built. In February 1867, the station was renamed "Magnolia". This caused confusion because there was a community called Magnolia nearby. Three months later, the station's name changed to Berlin. The name "Berlin" may have been chosen as a reference to the city of Berlin in Germany, though the derivation is uncertain.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough had a total area of 3.61 square miles (9.34 km2), including 3.59 square miles (9.31 km2) of land and 0.01 square miles (0.04 km2) of water (0.39%).
The borough borders the Camden County municipalities of Berlin Township, Clementon, Lindenwold, Pine Hill, Waterford Township and Winslow Township.
The borough is one of 56 South Jersey municipalities that are included within the New Jersey Pinelands National Reserve, a protected natural area of unique ecology covering 1,100,000 acres (450,000 ha), that has been classified as a United States Biosphere Reserve and established by Congress in 1978 as the nation's first National Reserve.