Cheverly is a town in Prince George's County, Maryland, United States, located very close to Washington, though not bordering it directly. The town was founded in 1918, and it was incorporated in 1931. Cheverly had 6,173 residents as of the 2010 Census. Cheverly borders the communities of Tuxedo, Chapel Oaks, Landover, Landover Hills, Villa Heights, and Bladensburg.
Cheverly is home to the Prince George's Hospital Center, Prince George's County Health Department, Cheverly Professional Building, PepsiCo bottling plant, Judith P Hoyer Early Childhood Center, Cheverly American Legion, Magruder Spring Historic Landmark, ABC Supply Company Inc., Washington Woodworking Company, Cheverly Sport Fair Fishing Store, and Publick Playhouse Theater. The main ZIP code for Cheverly is 20785.
Cheverly was begun as a planned suburb in the early 1900s. The Cheverly area was first platted in 1904 for a 93-acre (380,000 m2) community called Cheverly Gardens. The land was subsequently purchased in 1918 by Robert Marshall, president of the Washington Suburban Realty Company. The Cheverly subdivision platted by Marshall was developed around the 1839 Magruder family homestead known as Mount Hope.