Glenarden is a city in Prince George's County, Maryland, United States. The population was 6,000 at the 2010 census.
Glenarden was developed in 1919, when W. R. Smith purchased a group of properties approximately 10 miles east of Washington, and established a residential community of 15 people. Three decades later, under the banner of the Civic Association, the African-American, middle-class suburban community that had developed from Smith's venture petitioned the State Legislature for incorporation as the Town of Glenarden. The charter was granted on March 30, 1939, making Glenarden the third predominantly black incorporated town in the State of Maryland. W. H. Swann was elected as its first mayor.
Glenarden is located at 38°55′55″N 76°51′42″W (38.932061, -76.861648).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.22 square miles (3.16 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2010, there were 6,000 people, 2,077 households, and 1,535 families living in the city. The population density was 4,918.0 inhabitants per square mile (1,898.9/km2). There were 2,256 housing units at an average density of 1,849.2 per square mile (714.0/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 2.4% White, 92.1% African American, 0.3% Native American, 0.6% Asian, 2.9% from other races, and 1.7% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.0% of the population.