Doylestown is a borough and the county seat of Bucks County in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, United States. It is located 15 miles (24 km) northwest of Trenton, New Jersey, 25 miles (40 km) south of Easton, Pennsylvania, 25 miles (40 km) north of Center City Philadelphia and 65 miles (105 km) southwest of New York City. As of the 2010 census, the borough population was 8,380.
Like most of the region, the area of what is now Doylestown was inhabited by the Lenape people until the arrival of the Europeans.
Doylestown's origins date to March 1745 when William Doyle obtained a license to build a tavern on what is now the northwest corner of Dyers Road and Coryell's Ferry Road (now Main and State Streets). Known for years as "William Doyle's Tavern," its strategic location, at the intersection of the road (now U.S. Route 202) linking Swede's Ford (Norristown) and Coryell's Ferry (New Hope) and the road (now PA Route 611) linking Philadelphia and Easton, allowed the hamlet to grow into a village. The first church was erected in 1815, followed by a succession of congregations throughout the 19th century.
A second inn, the Sign of the Ship was established in 1774, built diagonally across from the Doyle Tavern. Samuel Flack was innkeeper in 1778.
The Fountain House, at the corner of State and Main Streets, was built in 1758 and is on the National Register of Historic Places.
As the population of Central and Upper Bucks County grew throughout the 18th and into the 19th century, discontent developed with the county seat's location in Newtown, where it had been since 1725. Eight petitions with a total of 184 signers were submitted to the General Assembly, some as early as 1784, requesting the move of the county seat to Doylestown. Among the signers were Andrew Armstrong, John Armstrong, John Davis, Andrew Denison, Jesse Fell, Joseph Fell, John Ingham (of Ingham Springs), Michael Frederick Kolb, Zebulon M. Pike (of Lumberton), Samuel Preston, Robert Shewell, Walter Shewell, and Fulkerd Sebring.