South Euclid is a city in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, United States. It is an inner-ring suburb of Cleveland located on the city's east side. As of the 2010 census the population was 22,295.
Acting approximately as a central point for the east side of the Greater Cleveland area, South Euclid is bordered by Cleveland, Cleveland Heights, University Heights, Beachwood, Lyndhurst, Richmond Heights, and Euclid.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.65 square miles (12.04 km2), all of it land.
The land currently comprising South Euclid was part of the Western Reserve, obtained via treaty with the Iroquois confederation in 1796 by the Connecticut Land Company. In 1797, Moses Cleaveland named the area east of the Cuyahoga River Euclid, after the Greek mathematician and "patron saint" of surveyors. Euclid Township was officially formed in 1809. In 1828, Euclid Township was divided into nine districts, with South Euclid becoming district two.
The earliest industry was farming. But, by the 1860s, quarrying of the area's rich Bluestone deposits replaced agriculture as the town's economic mainstay. Two separate locations – one along Nine Mile Creek near present-day Quarry Park at South Belvoir and Monticello Boulevards, and the other along what is today part of the Euclid Creek reservation – were consolidated by Forest City Stone Company in the 1870s, creating one of the region's largest producers of the stone.