Luzerne is a borough located 5 miles (8 km) north of Wilkes Barre in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 2,845 at the 2010 census.
The community was first settled in 1807. It was later incorporated as a borough in 1882. Like Luzerne County, the borough was named after Chevalier de la Luzerne, a French diplomat. In the early twentieth century, coal mining and manufacturing were the main industries in the community. The borough had coal mines, a foundry, drill factories, flour and feed mills, a canning factory, and a silk mill.
Luzerne is located at 41°17′2″N 75°53′34″W (41.283780, -75.892890).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 0.69 square miles (1.8 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,952 people, 1,410 households, and 767 families living in the borough. The population density was 4,299.3 people per square mile (1,651.8/km2). There were 1,520 housing units at an average density of 2,213.7 per square mile (850.5/km2).