Sugar Notch is a borough in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 989 at the 2010 census.
Sugar Notch was incorporated as a borough on April 3, 1867; it was named for the sugar maple trees surrounding the community. It was originally part of Hanover Township. The first burgess was Charles Parrish and the first council was composed of David Caird, Henry B. Plumb, Samuel Roberts, Adam Shiedel, and George Cyphers.
In 1869, the Lehigh and Susquehanna Railroad was constructed near the borough; it was used to transport coal. Sugar Notch was a popular coal mining community in the 1800s and 1900s. The current municipal building was built in 1921.
Following World War II — in 1946 — the Roosevelt Memorial was dedicated within the borough; Eleanor Roosevelt attended the ceremony.
Sugar Notch is located at 41°11′46″N 75°55′50″W (41.196149, -75.930448).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 1.1 square miles (2.8 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,023 people, 417 households, and 288 families residing in the borough. The population density was 1,002.8 people per square mile (387.2/km2). There were 459 housing units at an average density of 449.9 per square mile (173.7/km2).
The racial makeup of the borough was 99.41% White, 0.10% Asian, 0.10% from other races, and 0.39% from two or more races.