Milford is a city in Clermont and Hamilton counties founded in 1796, in the U.S. state of Ohio, along the Little Miami River and its East Fork in the southwestern part of the state. It is a part of the Greater Cincinnati metropolitan area. The population was 6,710 at the 2010 census.
“No wonder, then, that it struck with rapture the quaint and eccentric John Nancarrow, who had it surveyed for him on May 28, 1788 as Dutch burgomaster intended to found a city that should become the future metropolis of the West” (Louis Everts, 1880, p. 473).
The area within Milford, Old Milford, and O'Bannon Township were all built on a survey by John Nancarrow, a Revolutionary War veteran from Virginia. O'Bannon, now Miami, Township was named for Clermont's first surveyor. A field along Gatch Avenue on what was once the farm of John Gatch has yielded large numbers of artifacts for several generations; it is now believed to have been the site of a Native American village during the Woodland period. The settlement commenced in 1796 near where two river ways—the Little Miami River and its East Fork—come together, later better-named Milford. The first Methodist class in the Northwest Territory was begun there in 1798. Due to a great Methodist influence, including the life of Rev. Francis McCormick, Milford is at the root of Methodist religious heritage westward from Appalachia.